Saturday, September 8, 2012

1st Week

What an AWESOME first week at West Side Christian.

So far, I have been able to meet 1st, 3rd, and 4th graders and all middle school students. Every class was enthusiastic, polite, kind, and fun to have in class!

It will always be a great memory to have my first class be a class that I was able to open with devotions and prayer.The eighth graders were slightly surprised by my excitement- and I was thankful I could explain to them the fact that I was not able to open in prayer ever before as a teacher. I encouraged them to not take it for granted, as I had, in my K-12+ personal Christian Education. I believe God gave me the experience in a public school to give me a heart of gratitude for all that I can now do with my students! I'm so thankful He did.

The first day in P.E. can be a ROUGH day... since it is a time filled with learning expectations and introductions rather than activity. Fortunately, every class was able to learn a lot the first day- AND got to be active!

Every class learned about my 3 guidelines:
1) No matter what the activity, try your hardest.
2) Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
3) T.H.I.N.K. before you speak: Is what you're about to say True, Helpful, Inspiring, Necessary, and Kind?

Many classes got to test out the Fitness Circuit, set up in five different levels so that each student has the opportunity to challenge themselves. It included bicycle crunches (what's a crunch, Mrs. Verkaik?), jumping jacks, push ups, jump rope, wall sits, and sprints. Students tried to make it around the entire circuit in a matter of 3 minutes. If they made it, the next time they come they get to move up a level.

First graders were introduced to three super heroes: Kid Cardio, Miss Muscle, and Mr. Flex through a tag game called Superhero Fitness. Third and Fourth Graders got to know each other through Link Tag, Rock Paper Scissors Tag, and Group Juggling. Middle School students already completed the Mile Run for the Fall and did an outstanding job working their hardest and encouraging others. I had fun running the 'wrong' way and encouraging them. Although they were happy it was done, they weren't so happy that I surprised them with it (why tell them beforehand and have them dread it?) :)

I am looking forward to starting Intramurals, meeting my kindergartners and second graders, and continuing to build relationships with all the students at West Side!

P.S. I love the fact that I can share the I Corinthians 9 verse about running the race for an eternal prize with my first graders, and that they can explain to me that we are running for Jesus! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment