Saturday, September 21, 2013

The Challenge Behind a Good PE Lesson Plan

I just so happen to pick up a February issue (yes, I know it's September) of Christian Educators Journal and read an article titled, "Christian Education: Authentic and Sticky. I was inspired after reading the ideas laid out by Dan Beerens, especially as I busily try to accomplish many, many objectives and lesson ideas in these first few weeks- while simultaneously trying to build relationships with each one of my four hundred students- all within 30 minutes time- twice a week- in the West Side Christian gym.

Why is it so hard for me to create and implement a lesson with which I'm content?

  • I like "sticky" ideas: Ideas that remain or "stick" with students AFTER their time with me and their time at West Side. I like introducing and teaching new exercises, lifetime activities, and games in general that they will remember. Students crave theses sticky ideas, too.

  • My students' engagement is the "fuel" I use to keep me going when I teach: "To be truthful, the issue of student engagement is a difficult area for us because if we look at it honestly, we might need to make a change to our instruction that likely means more work. Yet let us acknowledge that we also derive the most joy from our teaching when we have hit upon meaningful questions, lessons, strategies, and resources that engage our students deeply!" -Yes. That pretty much sums it up.

  • I'm an over-analyzer. To see if they worked, didn't work. To see if there's something I missed. Or, most importantly, is there a better way of doing it? Have priorities of learning changed? Are there better ways of testing students' health or fitness? Do students really need to know every rule to this particular sport? "We are in a time of reconsideration of what students truly need to know, given both our access to information and the fact that some things seem not to be as important given the scope of our world today."We live in a world of constant change- not that change is ALWAYS good. But sometimes- it IS.

  • I want my students to "flourish": According to Wolterstorff, flourishing is about living in harmony with God, neighbor, creation, and self. I feel that I have a big responsibility in this flourishing through the way in which I teach. Am I creating a passion for learning and creative expression? Am I creating a desire to serve? Am I creating connections they can see in their learning? Am I allowing them to become divergent thinkers as they creatively solve problems? Am I teaching them all that God has gifted them with? That God calls them to? Am I demonstrating effective life habits and spiritual disciplines? Am I teaching a desire to act morally and ethically across all aspects of life?


I love what I do- and the challenges it involves. I truly hope that I can teach my students to be "foolish" in the eyes of the world: "...by teaching our students to choose love over fear, peace over contentment, patience over irritability, kindness over neglect, generosity over selfishness, faithfulness over deceitfulness, gentleness over pride, and self control over immediate gratification."

......in just thirty minutes. :)


Oh, and have you read this yet? http://writeproject.wordpress.com/2013/09/17/selling-grace-the-future-of-christian-education/


Beerens, Dan. "Christian Education: Authentic and Sticky." Christian Educators Journal (2013): 4-7. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment